Beginner’s Guide: How to Bet on Horse Racing
Horse racing is one of the most exciting and fun sports you can enjoy. It is undeniable the racetrack has brought so much enthusiasm and anticipation to many fans around the world. Up until today, horse racing is still one of the most popular sports events anyone can enjoy. It is a fact that watching horse racing is exciting as it is, but many still find ways to spice up the race. Of course, one way to do that is through betting.
For beginners, betting may seem like a heavy thing to do. But you don’t have to worry much. Although understanding the sports and how betting works for horse racing can be challenging, reading this guide will help you start your betting journey. Continue reading to learn more about how to bet on horse racing.
Types of Horse Racing Bets
Before placing your wager, you must first know the different types of bets you can place. Understanding these betting types will help you easily decide and eventually place your bet in no time. In horse race betting, there are two identified types of wagers: straight wagers and exotic wagers.
A straight wager is especially advantageous for beginners because it is easy to understand and inexpensive. It is fast and easy. All you have to do is choose a horse you think will end up first, second, or third in the race. The common minimum bet for a straight wager in most tracks is $2. Straight wagers include the following:
- Win – Your chosen horse should come in the first place.
- Place – A place bet means your bet must end up in first or second place.
- Show – Your bet must take first, second, or third place.
- Across the board – Taking on an across the board means you bet your horse to get a win, place, and show. Moreover, this bet is more expensive than the first three wagers mentioned above.
On the other hand, an exotic wager allows bettors to create bets on multiple horses in a single wager. This wager is generally more complicated and expensive than the straight wager. Thus, pursuing an exotic wager may require the necessary skill and experience to succeed. Exotic wagers include Exacta, Quinella, Trifecta, and Superfecta.
Ready to be a winning player? Visit this website to learn more about sports and racing betting.
Picking Your Winning Horse
Now that you know the different bet types you can place, it is time to pick your winning horse. But how do you do it? Reading updates about the betting odds and top picks for horse racing can help you get an overview of who tops the list. Thus, making it easier for you to decide which horse to bet on. Other ways you can do to pick a horse include the following:
- Read the race day program. Your win will depend on your ability to read the race day program. The program will help you review details about the competing horses, like the horse’s statistics and history.
- Look at the horse’s class levels. In horse racing, different competitions are involved. Horses move up and down in classes depending on their speed, strength, and overall performance on the track. The four primary horse racing classes include claiming, maiden, allowance, and stakes races.
- Performance on surface type. Racetracks have different surface types, and horses can perform differently on these surfaces. There are dirt and grass tracks and an artificial track. How your picks perform on specific tracks will help you decide which horse to place your bet on.
- History of the jockey. Looking at the jockey’s history and performance may also have an impact on how the horses perform. If a horse and jockey consistently finish at the top, then the possibilities are high that they’ll both do well in the next race.
How To Place a Wager
We are finally at the most exciting part of horse race betting: placing a wager. There are two ways you can play your wager; it could be through a human teller or an automatic teller. If you are on the racetrack in person, better you place your bet with the help of a human teller. This is because human tellers are faster and easier to transact with than automated betting machines.
To place your bet, you must be prepared once you step in the line. Things move faster than you would expect them to. Thus preparation is a must. Once you are at the counter, ensure you provide the teller with the information.
First, state the racetrack and race number, your bet amount, the betting type you wish to place, and lastly, the horse’s program number. That’s it! Moreover, always make sure to double-check your ticket before leaving the counter. Once all is done, keep it safe so you can easily claim the possible winnings if you win.
Horse Race Betting Online
Today’s technology growth and the continued popularity of horse race betting have created more options for bettors to enjoy. People can now watch races and bet online without experiencing the heat outside the actual racetrack in the comfort of their homes. Most online betting sites provide easy steps to place your wager.
All you have to do is click on the race you plan to wager in, click on the horse you want to bet, and click on the button to confirm. However, the process may still vary depending on the website being used. Moreover, checking the betting website first before placing your bet will help you secure a safe horse race betting experience.
Horse racing indeed provides excitement to many people. A race is more enjoyable with the energy brought by horse race betting. However, it is also important to remember that you don’t have to bet on every race. Setting a budget would help too!
When involving yourself in activities like this, it is important that you are fully equipped with the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed. Everything will surely fall into place if you know the sports well, how much you are willing to risk and find ways to minimize potential betting risks.