Carabao Cup Prize Money 2023: How Much Will EFL Cup Winner Earn
The Carabao Cup was formerly known as EFL Cup or Capital One Cup. The competition features teams from all the tiers of English Football and that total stands at a staggering 92 teams, making it one of the most keenly contested competitions in the world of sport. But when it comes to money, the Carabao Cup prize money falls far behind England’s other football competitions. As per the report, the club will earn zero prize money until they reach the semi-final stage of the league.
The 2023 EFL cup final is between Manchester City vs Tottenham Hotspur at the Wembley Stadium, London. Despite losing the semifinals, Man United and Brentford will also pocket EFL cup prize money for reaching the semi-final stage of the competition.
Carabao Cup (EFL) Prize Money 2023
The winners of the EFL Cup will take home prize money of £100,000 ($136,000) while the runner-up will take away half of that amount which is £50,00 ($68,000). The semi-finalist teams will receive £25,000 ($34,000) each while teams who failed to qualify for the semi-finals will go home empty handed.
But this isn’t the only source of income for the teams. The major source being the gate receipts. The teams get 45% of the gate receipt each and so playing a capacity full stadium means huge revenue for clubs, especially the lower ones.
The winners also get a place in Europa League in case winners qualified throughout the league system.
Ever since the EFL cup start it has remained one of the prestigious trophies in the England. This tournament is also known as the league cup or the capital one cup. Since this is one of the prestigious tournament in the England it attracts many teams from the different tiers of England.
This year a total of 92 teams participated in this tournament. This large participation also attracts a large number of football fans and many investors. There are many investors that are ready to pay a big amount for this league. This means that the team participating in this league also makes a good amount of money.
The main reason for a large number of fan following of this league is that all the local and low-level teams get the chance to play against the top teams in the league.
There are many players that started their career in many of these small clubs and then went on to be one of the great players in the football arena. This league also provided the perfect opportunity for the young footballers to showcase their amazing skill to the world and the big clubs.
EFL Cup Prize Money Breakdown
- The EFL Cup Prize money that is generated from the ticket sale is divided equally between both the teams playing the match. Both the teams get around 45% of the total sale of the ticket. The remaining 10% of the money goes to the Football Association.
- A large amount of money is generated by selling the television right for the matches. The amount generates by selling the rights of these matches are used to distribute the amount between the teams and to give the individual awards.
How the Football Association distributes the money among various teams?
- The total of 70 teams participates in this round. The 35 teams from the round 1 give an amount of 5,000 British pounds.
- The 13 premier league teams join the 35 teams in this stage. But only 24 of these teams are given an amount of 7,000 British pounds.
- The top 16 teams in the next round are given an amount of 10,000 British pounds.
- The top 8 teams then qualify for the next round. The top 8 teams are given 15,000 British pounds.
- The top 4 teams move ahead for the semifinal stage. These teams are awarded 20,000 British pounds.
- The top two teams then move to the finals and these two teams are given 25,000 British pounds.
- The runner-up team gets 50,000 British pounds.
- The winners get a whopping amount of 100,000 British pounds.